Purpose of the Role:
The successful applicant for the role of Simulation Development Engineer will be responsible for developing tools for vehicle dynamists, aerodynamicists and race engineers. The role will involve but is not limited to; algorithm design for interrogating vehicle models, modelling dynamic systems, developing distributed computing systems, metamodel development, live simulations tools providing real time data to the team, as well as building and releasing high quality software. By supporting existing tools and developing new simulations and toolsets, this role will play an important part in understanding and optimising car performance.
The Simulation Development team sits within the Vehicle Performance Department. As part of this group the Simulation Development Engineer will be responsible for developing and maintaining a wide range of tools. The role is factory based with occasional on call weekend support.
The simulation development engineer will be responsible for:
1. Modelling and simulation in the field of Vehicle Dynamics.
2. Innovation and development of new ideas to extracted maximum understanding and information from our vehicle models.
3. Delivering and supporting high quality simulations and software tools.
4. Generating clear and well documented code, and therefore leading by example within the Vehicle Dynamics group.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
· Educated to Masters or PhD level in an Engineering or Applied Mathematical field.
· Experience in using numerical methods, modelling and simulation techniques
· Excellent technical ability with strong mathematical skills and knowledge of dynamical systems analysis and control.
· Proven ability to innovate.
· Experience in the use of MATLAB, C++ and Python
The simulation development engineer will possess:
1. Good communication skills: able to explain complex simulation ideas to a wide audience.
2. A strong team player who can contribute to the whole team’s objective and to support other team members.
3. Well organized, and able to allocate time effectively between numerous technically demanding projects.
4. An ability to research novel methods and techniques and identify opportunities to apply them to good effect within McLaren.