Simulator Performance Engineer
United Kingdom, , WokingF1 - Technical
An opportunity has arisen to join the Performance Analysis Group within our world class Vehicle Performance department. Working with cutting edge driver-in-the-loop simulator technology, the successful candidate will support the running of simulator sessions with professional test drivers, including McLaren F1 Drivers.
The simulator plays a central role in the assessment of new performance concepts, while sessions before, during and after race weekends directly inform trackside setup direction. As a result, this role offers outstanding visibility across the breadth of the technical development process. The Simulator Performance Engineer will provide performance analysis support for simulator and track tests, with access to a state-of-the-art simulation toolchain.
Purpose of the Role:
- Planning, executing and reporting vehicle dynamics testing using the Driver In the Loop (DIL) Simulator.
- To exploit car performance through optimisation of setup and developing new concepts.
- To support Trackside and Design functions with relevant and rigorous insight from offline simulation together with track and simulator test data analysis.
- To support events as part of the Mission Control team monitoring vehicle performance in real time.
- This role sits within Vehicle Performance, within the Performance Analysis Team, which is principally concerne
- A strong motivation to drive performance and to develop a d with DIL and Offline simulation testing and analysis.
- The role reports directly to the Performance Analysis Team Leader with Vehicle Performance
Identifying opportunities to improve car performance through:
- Correlation of modelled vehicle behaviour with on track behaviour in the areas of Aerodynamics, Tyres and Suspension.
- Translating driver feedback into actionable objectives for car development.
- Planning and running test programmes with Race and Test drivers.
- Producing quality analysis in challenging timeframes
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher within an engineering discipline
- Strong analytical skills underpinned by a data driven approach
- Proven experience in a Vehicle Dynamics role in high-level Motorsport
- Previous exposure to track/race/simulator environment.
- Personal Attributes: s an engineer in the field of vehicle dynamics or race engineering.
- An ability to work effectively and calmly under pressure.
- First class written and oral communication skills.
- High attention to detail and an ability to take an unbiased approach to all tasks.
- A team player with a positive outlook and a ‘can do’ attitude
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.