Specialist, Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingF1 - Technical
Ours is a story of ingenuity and relentless technical development. Of grit, and heroism, and human endeavour. Of knowing and believing that we’re only at our best when we’re at our bravest. Of moving fearlessly forward. Always.
So, we’re taking the pursuit of better seriously. We have huge plans for our future. We’re making incredible things happen.
Right now, we’re looking for a Vehicle Dynamics Engineer to push us further than ever, faster than ever. To tackle F1 racing’s biggest challenges with humility. To make the most of our open culture. To own the next chapter in our story.
Simulation tools underpin all the performance development work at McLaren Racing, with regards to both understanding how the current car is behaving on track and optimising performance for the next run, event or season. You'll be responsible for modelling dynamic systems, maintaining and designing algorithms to interrogate our vehicle models, and for developing tools for vehicle dynamists, aerodynamicists and race engineers.
By supporting existing tools and developing new simulations and toolsets, you'll be playing a crucial role in the success of the team, whilst also offering a surprisingly broad range of exciting technical challenges beyond what you might traditionally associate with a racing team.
About the Role:
- Proposing, executing and reporting on simulation studies & simulator tests
- Optimisation of inboard and outboard steering & suspension system characteristics
- Proposing, developing and specifying novel suspension systems
- Contributing to pre-event simulation studies
- Supporting trackside operations from Mission Control
- Modelling and simulation of dynamic systems
- Developing and supporting high quality simulations
- Generating clear and well documented code
- Innovation and development of new ideas
- Providing technical assistance to the broader team
- Ideally a Masters degree or PhD in Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics (or similar)
- Broad awareness of suspension systems & global performance sensitivities in an F1 setting
- Strong skills in data analysis, applied mathematics and dynamical systems
- Able to effectively summarise complex information in a style appropriate to the audience
- Innovative, moving us fearlessly forward by proposing new methods and ideas
- Experienced using MATLAB (required)
- Experienced using Vehicle Dynamics simulation tools, ATLAS (or similar) & version control (preferred)
- Able to work effectively in a team with good organisation, communication and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction, integrating quickly and easily into the team
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.