Tyre Performance Engineer
United Kingdom, , WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
- To analyse and understand the tyre performance of the car and how it interacts with the overall vehicle performance
- To use the tyre understanding to feedback setup recommendations and drive car development to optimise the tyre performance available
- To clearly and concisely communicate the tyre understanding to Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department
- To continuously develop and progress the tyre analysis methods and processes to increase analysis efficiency and capability
The Tyre Group sits within the Vehicle Performance department. As part of this group the Tyre Performance Engineer will be responsible for the primary analysis of track data to asses the tyre performance accurately and quickly to strict deadlines during race and test events. This analysis will need to be communicated clearly and concisely to Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department to help optimise the car package at each race and event and drive the future car development.
The role will also compare and correlate the tyre model and simulation accuracy to track data and help identify areas of improvement in the tyre model and simulation tools. The other area of responsibility is the development of the analysis methods, processes and toolset and the progression of the analysis capabilities and efficiency including documenting all the processes and procedures.
The role will involve strong interaction with the other groups within Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department.
- Analyse track data to characterise the tyre performance of the car and identify weaknesses and opportunities to improve vehicle performance through setup and development.
- Attend mission control during race and test events to analyse tyre data in real time and report findings back to Vehicle Performance and Race Engineering to strict deadlines in the high-pressure environment of a race weekend.
- Evaluate and correlate the tyre model and simulation accuracy to track data.
- Develop and progress the tyre analysis methods, processes and toolset to continuously improve and advance the tyre analysis capability and efficiency
- Make a significant contribution to raising the level of tyre understanding within the team.
- Assist in the management of analysis tasks, priorities and reporting for an event.
- Support the Head of Tyres in maintaining a high level of motivation and achievement within the team.
- Flexibility in working hours is required including evenings and weekends to support race and test events in local time.
- Some travel to tests and race events may be required
- Strong interaction with the other groups within Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrate proven knowledge and experience in tyre understanding and analysis.
- Have good data driven analysis skills and the ability to extract meaningful data from a dataset and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- Knowledge of tyre modelling and simulation techniques as well as wider vehicle modelling.
- 2-3 years’ experience in F1 tyre analysis with particularly sound knowledge of understanding and characterising tyre behaviour from track data.
- Understanding of trade-offs in race car setup with regards to tyres, mechanical setup and aerodynamics.
- Experienced in using MATLAB for analysis tool development.
- A Masters or PhD in relevant subject area.
- A team player but also has the initiative to make their own decisions.
- Excellent communication skills to target a variety of audiences and the ability to influence them as appropriate.
- Possess the drive to strive and achieve results using all the information available.
- The ability to influence and embed knowledge to other members of the team.
- The ability to follow vehicle development directions and their interaction with tyre performance.
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.